About the Beyond Borders Educator Position
As we develop our learning center and educational presence on Lesvos, Greece we are seeking teachers willing to work for 90-day cycles, who are highly adaptable and able to carry out a variety of functions and roles, based on the unique needs of the team and the context we are working within. Currently there are 3 opportunities for engagement to meet the educational needs of refugees. These could be teaching at our learning center once it is established (emphasis on literacy, numeracy interventions and the arts/ movement), teaching informally in the community setting with either adults or children, and/ or working as a teacher with a partner NGO in one of their classrooms. Ideally teachers will have certification in ESL instruction.
The teacher will have the following responsibilities on a sliding percentage of function. Specific percentage of function will be more closely determined as the team is built and gifts/talents/abilities are assessed and matched with needs of the program.
* Teach a course(s) – either OPEN SCHOOLS WORLD WIDE for children and/or ENGLISH as a Second Language for adults at the LEARNING CENTER, OR in a local neighborhood, OR for another (NGO) NON GOVERNMENTAL ORGANIZATION (25% – 75%)
* Participate in home visits and relationship building
* Perform training for adult refugees
* Teach an “Enhancement” course (art, music, movement & drama)
* Teach essential life skills to prepare the student for transitioning to other settings of their world
* Teach fine motor skills
* Understand and respond to the needs of traumatized children
* Work cooperatively with Project Lead and with other teachers to determine roles of the educational staff
* Responsible for maintaining educational files, records
* Maintain good working relationship with building owner and other staff
* Maintain good working relationship with NGO leadership and staff
* Organize and implements recruitment of students & assessments.
Position Start Dates: Jan-March 2019 (1st cycle); April -June (2nd cycle); Sept-Nov (3rd cycle)
About Beyond Borders Lesvos Educational Project
Since 2015 over a million refugees have flooded into Greece, thousands having boarded dingy boats in Turkey, risking their lives attempting to reach Lesvos, one of the main entry points into Europe. While Lesvos was initially thought of as a "transit stop", the reality is that refugees are remaining on Lesvos for indefinite periods of time and there are no educational opportunities for refugee children.
Beyond Borders Lesvos will develop and implement educational, play-based, hands-on and therapeutically-informed learning and recreational programming to children and youth on Lesvos.
We seek to provide for the overall well-being of refugee children and youth by attending to their psychological, social, emotional, educational, and spiritual needs.
We greatly value persons with a heart to serve refugees and experience in education, counselling, youth work, administration, development. We are looking for people with a pioneer spirit, incredible flexibility, and initiative.